Thursday, April 9, 2009

Happy Easter

Easter is coming this Sunday. We have put together three days in the high 30 and mid 40’s. Our snow is melting once again. Our Aprils fools joke came a day early in the form of 12 to 14 inches of snow. Our road that we live on called Chippewa Beach Road is filled with muddy ruts once again. We have more signs of spring with wild life sightings. Duck, geese and other waterfowl can be see where they can find open water, like the Steamboat River Lake by the bridge on Highway 371. We see plenty of Bald Eagles over the lake with them occasionally resting in trees along the lake shore look for a quick meal.
Our weather forecast is for a warm Easter weekend. This should help to dry out our road at Oak Point Estates. We are hoping to get that road reasonably dry before we have traffic. There have been signs of walking traffic looking at the lots.
It’s hard to believe that in only one month we will have open season for Walleye fishing once again on Leech Lake. The old timers in the neighborhood think we will still have lake ice until May 1st. The old-timers include me. The earliest ever recorded ice out on Leech Lake was April 9, 1945. The latest May 23, 1950. I myself can recall a few years when we were not totally ice free for the opening of walleye season. My favorite fishing spot for Walleyes is evening fishing off my dock. I have caught many limits of fish with a jig and minnow off my dock in shallow water. We have excellent fishing using this technique that will last until the mosquitoes drive me inside. Believe me nothing is better then catching a few fresh fish and have them in the frying pay the next evening for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment