Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wood Pile

We had a rather cool weekend, so I spent my time and effort working on my wood pile. We have a wood burning Wilkening Fireplace in our home, which is like a wood burning furnace surrounded by masonry and bricks. We have a high efficient electric/LP furnace, but there is nothing better then having a wood fire in the evening with the heat circulated by a ceiling fan. Well anyway, I started to fill my 8' by 8' wood shed with last years wood that was stacked outside to dry out for the 2009-2010 winter. I have also been working with few other retired residents cutting some dead oak trees that we will split for the 2010-2011 heating season. Considering the time and expenses involved it's not a profitable venture, but living in the north country its part of what we do. Great exercise.

Walking in the early morning last week I saw black bear two mornings in a row. That makes four bear sighting this summer for me. Also saw a doe with twin fawns at Oak Point Estates one morning. The fawns were starting to lose their spots already.

Been a relatively cool summer so far. Have not used our air-conditing yet. Great sleeping weather with the open windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment