Sunday, October 25, 2009

Late October




In my opinion, fall is the most beautiful time of the year. Pictured here is the golden/yellow needled pine tree called Tamarack. Tamarack is the North American species of the larch tree, and are the only deciduous coniferous tree. They are commonly found in swampy areas and are very cold tolerant. These trees were found along the Oak Point Road. Other than the Tamarack the majority of the fall coloration is past their peak. Close to Leech Lake the mighty Oak Trees still have the majority of their leaves, their coloration has dulled, but they hang on the trees for a long time.
I also have a picture of the lake waters called the "Narrows". This connect the "Big Lake" to the Walker Bay area. This area is about 1/2 mile from the entrance to Oak Point Estates. Just to the right of the Narrows and to the south is the city of Walker. The Narrows is a great duck hunting area. Lots of boats pass through the Narrows on a daily basis.
The conversation at the local cafes and other neighborhood gathering areas has turned to where deer stands are going to be placed, what they are seeing with their trail cameras and the need to sight in rifles. The firearms season for Deer begins Saturday November 7th. Oak Point area is located in zone 100 that has a season from November 7th to the 22nd. Deer season is like a local holiday with many people coming back to their cabins and the locals have their friends up. I don't hunt deer and will have to rely upon my neighbors and friends to get me a venison taste.
The water temperature on the lake has come down quite a bit with the cold weather we have been having. The surface temperature is now in the mid 40's, down about 20 to 25 degrees in the last three weeks. We have had three days of rain this week which is helping the sloughs and wetlands.
The Oak Point Road project had a muddy week but the work continued every day. They replaced a number of culverts rain or shine. I still hope that the weather straightens out for a few more weeks.
Please contact me if I have made an error, last week I misspelled a critical word that was pointed out to me that I have now edited. Thank you. My email is nitchals@paulbunyan.net and my home phone is 218-335-2879 and cell phone is 218-760-3727. Give me some ideas on what you would like to read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment