Sunday, May 16, 2010

2010 Fishing Opener






Fishing Opener had to be defined as a success. I had two of my grand kids with me, my brother Mike, great weather and good food. We caught enough fish to have a good fish fry, but the numbers were limited. Most of the neighbors that I spoke to had limited success. We had no wind, blue skies and temps in the 70's. We needed a Walleye chop to get them biting. My grandson's 17 inch, 1.6 pound Crappie was the prize fish for the weekend. In two days we caught close to 12 Walleyes and an assortment of other fish to make it interesting. We had many, many boats on Leech Lake on Saturday morning, probably more then I have ever seen. Our neighborhoods here on Oak Point come alive with people and guests. To me the "Opener" is more about family and getting together and enjoying the lake.


Up until Saturday morning we had a wet windy week. According to my rain gauge we had about .7 of an inch of rain this past week. The water in the lake is now above the wheels on my dock which is a good level. So the rain in May is trying to makeup for March and Aprils lack. My lawn is needing mowing once again. Worked in the garden planting potato, green beans and onions. Need more time in the garden this coming week.

Road Progress

With the cool damp week the contractor, Anderson Bros., had limited success in their progress. Asphalt is laid half the way around the loop and has stopped by the "Narrows". The word now is the contractor wants to get done by Memorial Day Weekend. Pictured is a big Bald Eagle that I took today as he stood guard by the "Narrows". I think that the animals will be glad to see the road project completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment