Sunday, January 3, 2010

Christmas Miracle

My wife, Marlys Nitchals, and I are down at the University of MN Fairview Hospital where she just received a new transplanted kidney. Our 9 year old, 4th grade granddaughter, Katherine Nitchals, wrote this wonderful story that I am going to copy to the blog:


Christmas Miracle


On Christmas Day my grandparents and I were playing a game that I just got from them as a gift. We were sitting at the table playing, it was 8:00 PM at night. My grandma has to go and get her blood cleaned (dialysis) every other day because she has a disease in her kidneys. We could not play much longer because my grandmother had to sleep so she could go in the morning for her blood cleaning. While we were playing a phone rang and my grandma picked it up. Disappointed because she thought it was a person calling to sell something. It was not at all like that, it was a doctor from the University of Minnesota because he had a perfect match for my grandma's kidney that she needed. The person that had the kidney was a 55 year old woman who had fallen from her attic in Georgia and was on life support. This kind of thing does not usually happen, it was amazing that they found a person that lived on the other side of the United States of America that had the same kidney as my grandma. Over the night on Christmas Day the doctor called twice once at 10:00 pm and again at 1:00 am in the morning. The doctor told my grandma that tomorrow she should come to the University for a Transplant. The next morning my grandma and my family went to the University of Minnesota it was pretty convenient that the University was only 10 miles away from my house. The next morning at six o'clock my grandma had the transplant. They put some amnesia gas on her so that she would fall a sleep so that it would not hurt. She woke up that afternoon. The day after that me and my family went to visit with her and she looked pretty fine. Their were lots of cords, wires and stuff on her but I knew that she was okay. She ordered some food it was mashed potatoes and spaghetti it sounded gross it looked so good and it was real food. My grandma told me that she thought she was really lucky and she was. It was a Christmas Miracle.

1 comment: