Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wolf Moon


January's full moon is also called the "Wolf Moon" according to Native American lore because they associated this full moon with the wolves howling in the cold winter nights. Our current full moon which appeared yesterday was 30% brighter and 14% larger. This was because the moon was some 30,000 miles closer due to its egg-like shaped orbit. With the clear skies and the white snow I told my wife that we could almost read the newspaper outside at midnight.

January 2010 ends today. For me this January went by real fast. Usually January drags for me. The first two weeks we were at the University of MN Hospital with my wife's surgery. These last two weeks have been associated with trying to adjust back to life in the woods with her new kidney. We go into Bemidji's Hospital three times a week for blood work with the results being faxed to the Univ. Hospital for analysis. This January also brought me my 65th Birthday. So I am an official old man. All of that was enough activity for January and I am now ready for February. Our temperatures have been January like with many below zero days and the words "wind chill" were used often.

Last week in my blog I wrote about the Leech Lake Trail. I found this subject fascinating and I marvel at the ancient history right here in my own back yard. This past week I found out more information. I visited with the Tribal Archeologist from their Heritage Program and also with some folks from the US Forest Service. From them I received more maps one of which I am attaching here. (click on map to enlarge) I also learned that the trail had different names, Red Lake Road, Leech Lake/Red Lake Trail and Wagon Road. From these maps I am able to follow where the trail's remains are now in several locations by looking at the Cass County Aerial Photos from their web mapping system. It appears that in various locations forest service roads and even township roads are using the ancient road beds. When the snow is gone and the weather is warmer I hope to walk several of these locations. The Leech Lake Trail beginning/ending is in the vicinity of the location of the Northwestern Trading Company that I wrote about in my blog of November 15th. This area must have had a significant Native American settlement in the immediate area. I will keep you posted as I learn more.

Our local Timber Wolf is also called the Grey Wolf, (canis lupis) is native to north central and north eastern Minnesota. The wolf is dog-like in appearance and can weigh between 60 and 120 pounds. Its usual color is grey but some are black, brown or redish. Wolves are highly social animals and usually exist in packs of between 5 to 8 members. The leader is the Alpha male who is usually the largest. Usually packs have only one breeding pair that will have 4 to 8 pups at birth. The whole pack gets involved in the rearing of the pups. Individual packs defend their territory which can range from 50 to 100 square miles. The usual ratio is one wolf per 10 square mile. Wolves eat a variety of large and small animals with the white tail deer making up approximately 80% of their diet.

If anyone is interested in providing stories or ideas please email me at nitchals@paulbunyan.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment