Sunday, October 10, 2010

Indian Summer

The weather we had this first full week of October was simply spectacular. We had sunny skies, and warm temperature in the 70's and even hitting 80 degrees a couple of days here on Oak Point. Lots of visitors up to their cabins to do fall chores these last few days. Most of the docks and lifts are now in, mine included. In many neighborhoods groups get together and work as a team to bring the equipment in. These are borrowed days that I am sure we will be paid back with cold temps fairly soon.

Leaves

Another fall duty we all have on Oak Point is leaves. Actually I think the Oak leaves are down earlier this year then some of the years in the past. I think this is the case since many trees budded out earlier this spring then normal, so the time has come for the leaves to fall. Many of us have cleaned our leaves once this fall with the full knowledge that we will have to do it one more this fall. I will have to mulch the leaves at least once more this week.

Hunting and Fishing

The local duck hunter chased the local birds out already and they are waiting for the big flights to come in. Grouse hunting has been spotty, with a few birds taken by the hunters that work for their birds. No more bear sightings and very few deer sightings. I understand that the bow hunters have not seen many deer. I was lucky enough to draw a doe permit this year. Good reports on the Walleye fishing. Lots of fish being taken on the rocky points like Pine Point and Big Hardwood in the evening.

Garden

Picked a few green peppers and zucchini for the last time. I still have a few potatoes and beets to dig that I hope to do this week, then I begin the task of tilling the garden. I sort of dread this task for some reason. I guess I hate to see the season end.






No comments:

Post a Comment